Tuesday, April 5, 2011

You come to consult de spirits?



So ya back? Good, dis be de time to talk. Don't inturrupt me now, look into de fire, drink ya watah, and relax, and for de love of de isles, don't inturrupt! Now, take a deep breath, you too readin' audience, and relax before we continue. Clear your mind, Sticks be takin' you wid him on a journey.

I been around Azeroth a few times. I seen de sun rise on many a mountain peak as I lie, wrapped in de shadows o' de night. I listen to de watah run tru valleys, smelled de beasts on de wind, and tasted de morning dew on me tusks. I killed monstas aplenty, big and small, all dangerous, and each one left someting. A cut on me left tusk from a raptah's horn, a scar from a scorpid's nasty tail. I've lost an eye to anodda hunter before, grew it back a week later, and payed her in kind. I don't tink she'll be growin' dat glowy silver eye again. Point o' all dis is, where I been, I hear de spirits.

De spirits are de Loa, and dey be wid us everywhere in de world. De orcs revere dem too, call dem de 'elements'. Dey speak o' Earth, Wind, Fire, Water, and Wild. Dis be a good way to sum up de spirits, as dere are indeed spirits o' de air, de earth, de fire, and da watah, but dey usually be based in de natural loa. Earth is to bear, air to de windserpent, fire to de Amani Dragonhawk, and watah to de seasnake. Wild though, dat's a tricky one to pin down. Where does an old troll begin? De wild is in you, in me, in da warchief, de shadowhunter, even in de humans an' night-elves. It's found in de tops of trees and de bottom of lakes, de hearts of volcanoes, and de shifting sands of Tanaris. It is life, from de lichens to de dragons, we all be subject to it. I hear dat de dragon, Alexstraza, be called de 'life binder'...she perhaps be de one who understands dis bettah den anyone, she be feelin' it, de life in all de creatures, de plants, the earth itself. Death, too, is a part o' de wild spirits.

At dis point you be askin' 'Sticks!' How can death be aparto'de wild, when you be sayin' de wild is life?'. You been listnin' to me? DON'T INTERRUPT! Now, death be apart of life like shadow is a part o' light. As one ends, de odda begins. Now, dis don't mean we die till we born, I'm not sayin' dat! But all life ends, and when it ends, it has to go somewhea. Dat somewhea, is to de spirits. Fo' de Darkspea, we go to Bwonsamdi, who guards de dead's spirits until de be ready to move on to de odda side. He be de one who gives de shadow-users dere powers, de warlocks, shadowhunters, and shadow priests. He hears de drums, smells de incense we burn, and he welcomes de dead wid open arms. De bodies are his to use as well. De bones are piled, de skulls collected, and he makes use of dem, weddah to make skeletal servents, or to put de souls o' his enemies in, I dunno. But he is dere, ready to accept us when de time comes to see what's on de odda side.

Now, de spirits not be universal. I can't go all de way to de far reaches o' bumscratch blade's edge in outland, and expect to summon up de spirits o' me ancestors on a whim, even wid' de right totems and rituals. Spirits are where de' belong. In de' isles, I can see Bwonsamdi, in Gurubashi, I can speak to de Razzashi raptor god, in Zul'Aman, Alkzikon de eagle hears me chant and smells de' incense. If I'm in Bumscratch Blade's Edge, I can call up de raptah, windserpent, and warpstalker, for dey be de gods of dat land. If de call be strong enough, and dere be enough history o' de spirits, dey can be called from afar. De Zaladi called Amani gods in Zul'Drak, because de Drakkari be a kind o' forest troll, dat's why forest and ice trolls be so big and ugly de same way.

De spirits surround us, dey in dat dew I taste, dat beast I smell, de wind dat carries de smell, de cool shadows o' de night, de mountain greeting de day, and de sun itself. All o' dem be spirits. So remember dat, next time ya dwarfs dig deep, ya elves explore too far into de secretes of magic, same for you goblins and gnomes. Dere' be more to de world den Titans and Old Gods, some tings be much olda, more primal, and dey often be ready to strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment